ZAMBOANGA CITY, Dec. 6 (PNA) — The Department of Health (DOH) has embarked on a massive information campaign focusing on the dangers brought by the use of firecrackers here in Region 9.
The drive, implemented under DOH’s “Aksiyon Papuptok Injury Reduction (APIR) program, is aimed to lessen if not eradicate cases of firecracker-related injuries during the Yuletide Seasons, especially during the New Year’s Eve revelry.
The information campaign is anchored on the theme: “Sa pag-iingay mas Masaya, sa paputok may disgracia.”
Dr. Lucky Rachela Lego, DOH-9 local health systems and health promotion and communication unit chief, on Tuesday said they are encouraging the public to use noise-making gadgets such as “torotot” (a colloquial term for a small wind instrument) instead of firecrackers to welcome the new year.
Lego said they are happy to note the campaign against the use of firecrackers is gaining headway in Region 9 citing last year’s firecracker-related injuries were lower by four cases compared to the previous year.
Lego said they recorded 12 firecracker-related injuries in the entire region from December 21, 2015 to January 5, 2016, which was lower than the 16 cases recorded for the same period–December 21, 2014 to January 5, 2015.
She said those injured by firecracker explosion were aged 10 to 54 and majority of them were males.
There were also four people who were injured by stray bullets.
She said that 67 percent of the firecracker-related injuries were caused by “piccolo”.
The others were injured by sky rocket fireworks locally known as “kwitis” and the ear-splitting five-star firecrackers.
She also advised parents to closely monitor their children to prevent them from becoming victims of firecracker explosion. (PNA)